Sharing files over network can save you a lot of time especially when the receiver is connected to the same network as you are. This article will go over how to share files in a given directory using a simple http server built into python. This requires the devices you want to share your files with to be connected to the same network as you are.
- Make sure you have python installed: run ‘python’ in the terminal and if it is installed you should get the output for the installed version
- Make sure you are connected to a network
- Make sure your firewall doesn’t block incoming http network requests on the same network.
Starting the python simple server
- Go to your terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and run the following command inside the directory you wish to share
- You should get output similar to this:
Accessing the shared directory
On your device:
Open up your browser and type:
On another device:
Open up the browser and type:
And you’re done, you should be able to view the files inside the shared directory